What is Kool-Dough you may ask? It’s no cook dough with Kool-Aid added for color and scent…and it really helps bring out the artistic side of our residents.
The residents of Azura Memory Care of Sheboygan began to make the Kool-Dough by adding the ingredients and stirring them together. After it cooled, they mixed and kneaded it with their hands. Then, each took their turn smelling the different batches.
Kool-Dough was a hit on so many levels!
Fine Motor (increase hand strength, dexterity and coordination)
• Squeezing it to make it softer or combine pieces into a larger ball.
• Pinching bits of dough and rolling small balls with the thumb and first two fingers.
• Forming it into a ball or sausage with two hands or with the flat of a hand on the table.
Language and Communication
• Identifying colors by name or by pointing.
• Answering questions about what they are doing.
• Forming it into letters.
• Taking turns using the different tools or deciding what to make.
• Reminiscing about baking, smells of the Kool-Aid, and playing with children.
Best of all, our residents had so much fun creating hot dogs, meatballs, bowls, and simply squishing it.
MOSAIC Moments galore!